WEST JUNEAU WEEKLY PICTURE
Evergreen Bowl – Cope Park
The old – circa 1908? (now demolished) 8th Street Reservoir is at the bottom left; 7th Street and Chicken Ridge are on the middle left; the Andrew P. Hope Building and part of West Willoughby Avenue are at the far upper left; part of the Casey-Shattuck addition (“The Flats”) is at the upper right; Gold Creek and Mt. Juneau are on the right.
Evergreen Bowl was originally a patented mining claim, the Boston No. 2, U.S. Mineral Survey 926 located January 1, 1897 and patented January 18, 1917.
The Juneau Chamber reported in January 1936 that it would be easy to tunnel from Seward St. to Evergreen Bowl for quick access for school children.
July 18, 1941: The swimming pool in Evergreen Bowl is dedicated.
February 5, 1960: City buys Evergreen Bowl from A.J. Industries, the successor to the Alaska Juneau Gold Mining Co., for $20,000.
The park within Evergreen Bowl is named after local firefighter Bill Cope who died in March 1972. Mr. Cope had put tremendous effort into organizing sports activities through the Juneau Volunteer Fire Department.
Picture by David Kent, Morning, July 4, 1987, © 2009